The Higher School of Pedagogical and Technological Education (ASPAITE) was founded in Athens in June 2002 (Law 3027/2002), as the universal successor of SELETE (School Vocational & Technological Education Officers).
SELETE was established by a legislative decree in 1959 (N.D. 3971/1959), in the framework of general effort of organizing and developing a system of Technical & Vocational Education in post-war Greece of the ’50s.
Immediately after BW During World War II, Greece was faced with the need to develop a multilevel economy, with emphasis on creating new professions, but also perfect specialized technicians. It was soon realized that this goal involved adaptation of technical vocational training to its requirements developing Greek economy, a goal which highlighted the need for existence appropriately trained teaching staff for teaching techniques
vocational courses. To this end, it was founded with the N.D. 3439/1955 since then Ministry of National Education and Religions (Ministry of Education) special study service and coordination, to prepare studies and plans for the implementation of the new policy and for the coordination of general and vocational education. In January 1957, the Office of Studies and Coordination of its Administration General and Vocational Education, with a Head as its later President SELETE Niki Dendrinou-Antonakaki underlined the complete lack of public technique Vocational Education and the lack of coordination and organization in the field this, documented the need for a teacher training school staff of public Technical Vocational Education and suggested:
a) the establishment of a university school of education and
b) the establishment of a school of executives for retraining of existing staff. These are exactly the goals he was called to serve SELETE.Its foundation in September 1959 (N.D. 3971/1959 “About Technical and Vocational Education, Organization of Secondary Education and Education Administration ») marks the shift to technical and professional education and the institutionalization of teacher training and education in them: «[ ] a School of Technical and Vocational Education Officers is established
Education in which they will be scientifically trained and will the candidate teachers of techniques and others are pedagogically prepared vocational schools and special courses of their new directions Gymnasiums».
SELETE is initially housed in the Maraslio Pedagogical Academy and then as “Extraordinary” school at ELKEPA with the help of the European Productivity Center. In 1961, in order to be transferred to privately owned facilities, the Makrykosta estate of 235 acres in Marousi, Attica – where it continues to is housed from 1968 until today. Receives financial assistance from the US government for the development of plans, under the supervision of UNESCO, and the construction building infrastructure of international standards, as well as for scholarships of Greeks teachers in America, while for the equipment of its laboratories it accepts financial assistance from the United Nations (UN).
THE ESTABLISHMENT OF ASPAITE
The need to establish the Higher School of Pedagogical and Technological Education (ASPAITE) as the universal successor of SELETE (Law 3027/2002, Article 4 “Establishment of a Supreme School of Pedagogical and Technological Education – Abolition of SELETE “) emerged substantially from the rapid developments taking place in the labor market and, against consequently, in higher education, not only in Greece, but also in European space in general.
ASPAITE maintains a long tradition of dynamic presence of SELETE in academic space, having also been substantially established as the only institutionalized one educational institution in Greece for the education and training of teachers, technical and vocational courses, intended to teach in Secondary education. The important steps of ASPAITE include its further geographical expansion across the country, implementation since 2005 Postgraduate Programs in partnership with HEIs of Greece and abroad, as well as the approval of the first autonomous Programs
Postgraduate Studies in 2014.
ASPAITE is a legal entity under public law fully self-governing, according to with article 16, par. 5 of the Constitution, the provisions of article 4 of Law 3027/2002, as amended by P.D. 101/2013 and article 29 of Law 4186/2013. ASPAITE participates equally with respective Schools and Institutions of the technological sector in:
“Training of executives of high quality applications, which, in theory and their applied scientific training
a. are a link between knowledge and application, developing it applied dimension of sciences and arts in the respective professions fields,
b. transfer, use and promote modern technology as well methods, practices and techniques in the field of applications “(article 1, Law 2916/01).
The mission of ASPAITE also includes the parallel provision of technological and pedagogical education to its students, the promotion of applied research in educational technology and pedagogy, and organization training, retraining or specialization programs for teachers or future students teachers (article 4 of Law 3027/2002, as amended by P.D. 101/2013 and article 29 of Law 4186/2013).
Today the School consists of the Departments:
● Pedagogical Department
● Department of Educational Electrical Engineering and Educational Electronic Engineering with two introductory directions
(i) Educational Electrical Engineers
(ii) Educational Electronic Engineering
● Department of Educational Mechanical Engineering
● Department of Educational Civil Engineering
ASPAITE is housed in its privately owned building facilities in Maroussi, in one area of about 200 acres. ASPAITE organizes and implements programs pedagogical training and training or specialization programs, except Athens, and in eleven other cities of the region as follows: Thessaloniki (PD 269/1979 / Government Gazette 76 / 17.04.79 / T.AI), Patras (PD 4/1996 / Government Gazette 3 / 12.01.96 / T.AI), Ioannina and Heraklion, Crete (Presidential Decree 116/1999, Government Gazette 120 / 16.06.99 / T.AI), Volos (Presidential Decree 244/2000 / Government Gazette 208 / 28.09.2000 / Τ.Α΄), Sapes (ΥΑ 15844 / Γ2 / 05.02.2008), Rhodes / South Aegean (ΥΑ 29578 / Γ2 / 19.03.2012), Mytilene / North Aegean and Kozani / Western Macedonia (ΥΑ 120992 / Γ2 / 03.09.2013), Argos / Peloponnese (ΥΑ 64085 / Γ2 / 25.04.2014) and Livadia / Central Greece (ΥΑ 110496 / Ζ1 / 05.07.2016).